Friday, July 14, 2006

Perfect Power

The recap of WIBA from some folks (Wil, TriSaraTops, Elizabeth, SLS, RBR, and others) has got me all excited. Hard to belive 58 days till my race. It's kind of late and there's a lot on my mind, so this post might be not flow too well.

anyways, I'm in a mini taper for my first ever half IM. I have mixed feelings about this. I am confident, but am still afraid of the results. What if they are worse than expected? What if I do extremely well now and set the bar too high for Wisconsin? Will my knee feel all right? Will my bike hold together?

Regarding my training for Wisconsin? Will I have enough time to squeeze out some high volume training days? Will my knee cooperate enough for me to put in the training? Will I be able to get enough sleep?

And for some more doubts, the cardiologist I had been seeing finally called me back in. I had assumed no news was good news; the last time I saw him was in May. I've come this far already and if it's not what I want to hear, do I have the gaul to race IM anyways?

This week I have been thinking about a passage I heard at church. "A thorn in my flesh was given to me, an angel of Satan to beat me, to keep me from being too proud. Three times I asked the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me: ' My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.'" (2 Corinithians 12:7-9) I should try to do what the apostle Paul did and be content with the irony of our weakness becoming our strength.

Our lives are filled with ironies as is our training. We spin at a higher cadence to save the legs for later in the race, or we take time off so that we can come back and train harder, or the old "run slow to get faster." Wil came to this conclusion recently: "So, what have I learned? That I’m human. That it’s all right to not be perfect all the time. That perfection is being imperfect."

So now what have I learned: Sometimes we stumble across a paradox. Without accepting the ironic truths, we can not continue to grow. So by having to deal with a physical weakness, I have gained mental and spiritual strength. That is how power is made perfect.

8 comments:

Jodi said...

Great thoughts.

I'll be there cheering you on Sunday. You'll do great!

Trisaratops said...

Great post and verse!

Cliff said...

Al,

Go to my blog and see my pics. U will be just like that, if not even better..u will do great :)

I really like that passage from Corinithians.

Eric said...

You will do fine on your Half at Musselman. This is a training day to find out where you are in the training and see what works for you during a longer race.

Take your time, be patient, think wisely, follow the nutrition plan, have fun.

Be careful with all the forecasted heat.

E-Speed said...

Good Luck at Musselman! Hope the knee holds up!

Chris said...

That's a great bible passage! I can't say that I recall it. It doesn't sound familiar at all.

I think it's ok to be out of your comfort zone sometimes. Without change, you cannot grow.

Just another couple of months... !

RunBubbaRun said...

Good luck at the race, be careful of the heat.. You'll do great, follow your race plan and them on to Madison..

Pharmie said...

Good luck! Can't wait to hear how it goes! Make sure to stay hydrated in the heat, and wear sunscreen!