Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Brick?



Okay, things got busy at work as we were trying to prepare to showcase some new equipment and technology in our department. I'll still be busy the next few weeks as we move towards using everything clinically.

All right, quick training recap:

April 12 - Z2 60 minute trail run on the southern edge of Lake Mead national park.

April 13 - 20 mile ride with my team. It was supposed to be at a social pace, but we rode at a good Z3 effort.

April 14 - Brick. 16 mile Z2 ride followed by 70 minute Z3 run with TriEric and an IM WI sister.

April 16 - 3 hours of volleyball. You should have seen the sprained thumb I got. One week later and I still have trouble gripping a pen.

April 17 - 35 mile Z3 ride around Hoover Dam. No not the one in Nevada, but the one in C-Bus.

April 18 - 8 mile run; 2 mile warm up, 5 x 1 mile repeats, 1 mile cool down. I was not quite ready to hit the track so I ran around an intramural ballpark at The OSU. Unfortunately the coeds playing sand volleyball threw me off my plan and my mile splits kept dropping each time.

April 19 - 35 mile Z2-Z3 ride with some folks from my tri club.

April 21 - 45 minute Z3 trail run at Highbanks, my new favorite park. Followed by a 2 hour birding hike with a friend.

April 22 - 2 hour Z2 trail run back at Highbanks. Plus I got in an 20 minute open water swim later in the day.

Did anyone notice anything?

Yes I did a brick for the first time since, ohhh, maybe 2004? Why is this significant? Well I'm thinking of bringing the brick back this year. I am going to run a fall marathon and am gathering some training programs. I was talking with a teammate of mine a few weeks ago. She mentioned how well the bricks seemed to help her runs especially around mile 20 of the marathon.

So the fire is lit. I am really eager to get out and train. And with the weather being so perfect for Ohio, I am doubly eager to train. I am training more now than I have been since last summer. It's also becoming consistent as I am finally settling into some routines. But let's hope I can continue to check myself; I still have about six months till my race and there's no need to over do it. Next time, I think I'll discuss my thoughts on my marathon training.

11 comments:

E-Speed said...

glad you are out and training and having fun!

Triteacher said...

Yep, it sounds like you're back, but may need to invest in some blinders for those interval workouts, huh?

I'm eager to hear about the marathon plan!

Fe-lady said...

Glad to hear Ohio is finally getting some nice weather! I never knew Ohio had a Hoover Dam! Gee- you learn something new from bloggers every day!
You go with those bricks! (You have done more than I have since 2004!)

RunBubbaRun said...

You have been an busy, busy, boy with your workouts...

Got to get in some trail running.. Way cool... I love that stuff..

Look forward to hear your plans for road to "boston?"

Papa Louie said...

All right the fire is lit! Go get em! Train well and tell us about your marathon plans.

TriShannon said...

That is a lot of working out!

I did my first "non-race" brick tonight. Yep, years of triathlon training... bricks avoided every year.

BuckeyeRunner said...

You are back in the groove for sure! Nice set of workouts.

Janet Edwards said...

Well it does appear that the training has really been coming together nicely! Glad to hear it!

Looking forward to hearing more about your marathon training!

Cliff said...

Al,

When i play other sports, i get sprain or bruise easily. Now I don't want to touch any sports.

Last time I was playing paintball i fell and my knee fell out of place for two months.

Hmm...i do notice i run faster after getting off the bike. I always assume is the adrenaline i get from going fast on the bike :)

Steve Stenzel said...

BRING BACK THE BRICK!!

Congrats.

Mike said...

Solid training there Al! Glad you are getting nice weather too..always a bonus. I'm still waiting for us to get nice weather consistently vs. the couple days thrown in between the darn rain!