Monday, August 06, 2007

Stage 5: Take It Easy



First off, one more thing about the Sweet Corn Challenge. Cliff, I also would love to see a profile of this year's ride as well as previous years' rides. Unfortunately I don't have one. But according to Papa Louie, there was just under 5,000 feet of climbing for his ride. So a fair estimate would be to double that for the 100 mile ride and we get about 10,000 feet of elevation gain. For reference, the famous 120 mile Triple Bypass has 10,310 feet of climbing. Hmmm, who would have thought a ride in NE Ohio could have as much climbing as a ride in Colorado.

In Week 5, I once again fell short on my workouts. I feel really bad about missing my run on Sunday, but hopefully it will help me in October. So last week I sent in my registration for this and then my left shin starts complaining. Now I'm worried about full blown shin splints. I am feeling my way through this, trying to balance not going too hard or too long. I think I have the conditioning, but I need to somehow get that running volume up. My current thought is to try to squeeze in as many short 20-30 minute runs as I can throughout the week. My legs need to get used to 26.2 miles of pounding.

Monday: No workouts
Tuesday: No workouts
Wednesday: 3 x 1200 (4:22/4:33/4:43) w/ RI = 400 jog, 1 X 1600 up tempo (7:24) , 6 miles total
Thursday: 40 miles, avg 23+ mph, 30 minute run off the bike
Friday: 3 mile run easy
Saturday 4 mile run easy
Sunday: No workouts

Weekly Totals
  • Swim: 0 meters
  • Bike: 40 miles
  • Run: 16 miles
I do have several things I would like to write about, but quite frankly I don't have the mental energy tonight.

Preview of Stage 6: Life is a box of chocolate...

5 comments:

Erin said...

Remember, better 10% undertrained than 10% overtrained. There's a lot of time between now and Boston. A couple of missed workouts, even long runs, aren't going to make or break anything at this point...but an injury will.

Oh, and I'll definitely be back at WIBA next year. Already looking forward to it!

B Bop said...

My first thought with lower leg pain is, "how many miles on my running shoes?" They add up quick!
There is plenty of time until the Columbus race and plenty more until Boston....

Papa Louie said...

Do what you can to help heal the pain and try running on trails, or treadmill and maybe use differnet shoes (or no shoes). Good luck with your training.

Rachel said...

Take it easy and don't beat yourself up! You don't have to go hard every week. Especially if you have pain. Good for you for listening to your body.

Cliff said...

Al,

THanks I still have no idea how much that is. But man 10,000 feet sounds a lot :). A lot of fun :D