Thursday, December 21, 2006



There's a lot of little things I want to get to tonight.

Beta Blogger:

First off Beta Blogger sucks donkey balls. I've still been reading other fine folks' blogs, but the ability to make comments has sucked. So I'll probably be a little sporadic with them.

Ankle Update:

I had another visit to my physical therapist last Friday. Things are progressing, slowly. The flexibility and stability are there in most directions. The strength is okay, but still a little imbalanced between the right and left legs. But the scar tissue is still there. I was assessed on the treadmill. I looked okay, but the running just did not feel right. There's some discomfort in places where discomfort should not be. We believe I may have stretched a few key ligaments in addition to my tendon strain. I may need to go back to the doctor for a more accurate diagnosis (read MRI) if things do not contiune to progress. So I'm still restricted from running. Ugh hopefully by mid January I'll be able to run. I've got to get ready to play in the big football game with my buddies on Super Bowl Sunday. (Hope my new tri team manager doesn't throw any clauses into my contract.)

Computer Names:

I received a few comments about my naming of my hard drives. Well this stems from my college days on campus. Thousands of computers were all networked together. So if my friend was in his lab on the quad, he could access my computer sitting in my dorm room and get a copy of our lab report. But it's hard to look for a computer named "03BE-F14C". Everyone had a name for their computer. Hence the tradition of naming my computer. I like traditions and so it has continued even to this day. And I think I have a name picked out for my next computer.

Speedplay Pedals:

Over the last few years I have been using Look CX7 pedals. They work well as I can make micro adjustments. I have heard Look is trying to switch over to the keo style cleats and away from the larger delta cleats. So I made the switch to Speedplays Zeros. I felt the increased degree of float would really help out the knees too. I purchased them with my new bike, but was not about to go 112 miles on brand new pedals. So I have been trying to them out on the trainer. And let me tell you I felt like I did when I first went clipless. If I was on the road, I would be on the ground at every stoplight. Also when I clip out I have to twist my foot outwards; that's not the best thing for a weak ankle. I got in my first long workout with the Speedplay pedals tonight and I've got some adjustments to make. 140 rpms is not fun, but even less fun when things are slightly out of alignment.

Cardiologist:

This Friday I finally return to my cardiologist. (It feels so weird to type that - "my cardiologist." I'm a thirty year old Ironman with a cardiologist. Wow.) Anyways, I just want a definitive resolution to any heart conidition I may or may not have. More so, I want to be able to run hard with no fear. Call me crazy but I miss Zone 5 workouts.

Up Next:

I had a chat with my coach about a week ago. I asked him flat out what he thought about this past season. He gave it B-/C+ range. Why? It wasn't performance. I performed well at IM WI, but because my training was cautious and restricted I never got the chance to really see what I could do.

So what is next? I saw one of my IM WI brothers tonight for the first time since September. We started talking a little about what's next. We both smirked when we flashed a big fat zero - as in absolutely nothing planned for 2007. He is restricted with work and family. I've got a lot of things to sort out as well. I know I can post a better IM time, but I know I'm not really made for Ironman. My coach believes I can do some serious damage in the Olympic and half-IM distances. I definitely have the speed for the OLY, but with the length of the swim between an OLY and a HIM so small, I could really make it up on the bike and run in a HIM. Honestly right now I really just want to run. And that's my resolution for the new year.

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes:

There will be some changes coming soon in my corner of blogland. Strap yourself in; it's going to be a fun ride.

Holidays:

Right now I don't have any deep Christmas thoughts that wouldn't sound cliche. So, give a listen to Cheech and Chong and click on the flash player above (if you haven't done so already).

Photo from AP

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to totally agree on the beta bloggers and donkey balls! I finally moved over *kicking and screaming* because of the friggen comments issue!

Re: the ankle, hope you see some real progression soon - that would be tough to deal with. Let me say it now- NO FOOTBALL once it heals!! Good luck at the Cardio this Friday too, hopefully you get the big green light to hit it hard in 07!

Have a great holiday!

Anonymous said...

Aack! You're making my heart beat faster when you write the doin' some serious damange at Oly distance bit. I totally see you burning up those courses, but get the cardiologist green light first! Let us know what you find out; I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays! Good luck with your running resolution. And we hope the doctors have good news for you on Friday.

RunBubbaRun said...

Hope all you doctors visits turn out okay so they you give the GREEN light for everything.

You really going to blast the course at full speed. everybody else Look out.

Beta blogger does really suck "donkey balls" and then some.

Anonymous said...

Beta does take some getting used to. If someone hasn't switched to beta yet, you have to sign in before commenting. That blows! It does seem faster though to post.

Hope your ankle issue resolves itself successfully. Have a great holiday!

Cliff said...

Sorry to hear about the heal...

i landed hard when i snowboard and my chest hurts....which is weird b/c i DID not landed on my chest...seeing the doc tomorrow.

anyways...i can see u have the potential to kill the OLY course since u use to be a tracker.

BuckeyeRunner said...

Looks like you have quite a few that agree with your donkey balls assesment of Beta Blogger.

Hope your stump heals up quickly for you.

Anonymous said...

If you arent' running you can spend more time on the bike and team with the roadies.

Anonymous said...

Glad you're getting the ankle sorted out. My knee PT is coming along great and jogging no longer hurts. YAY! Hope you're back to running soon. Is the increased float helping with your knees? I was thinking about getting the Keo pedals but have no idea which version would be good.

Anonymous said...

I was just commenting about how much blogger beta sucked when it stole the message I was posting! I keep forgetting that my username is my email address now!

Keep us posted about the cardiologist and the ankle.

Merry Christmas!

Jodi

Janet Edwards said...

Best of luck with the doc. I agree with your coach speedy that you could realyl rock those distances!! It will be fun to watch ya in 2007!

Rachel said...

I hate beta too. I can't switch though b/c my blog's too big. So I just get beta discrimination. How do you like that?

Hope your ankle gets better quickly. That sucks about not being able to run. Yuck.

I think it's smart not to do 2 IMs in 2 years. Just me, personally. But what do I know. I won't be an IM for another year or so yet.