Sunday, April 16, 2006

Bunnies

My zodiac sign is the rabbit, but I'm still learning how to be a pace bunny. Today started with a little run with TriSaraTops and I decided to be her pace bunny. I was really hoping she could break through for a PR, but it wasn't in the cards today. She had a great attitude about it though realizing that her focus is on IM Wisconsin, not a speedy 5K; Those are two totally different animals. When I read she went out and had a good 51 mile bike ride later that day, I thought: Well, damn, nothing is going to keep her down. A little disappointment turned into the best ride of her life!!! How awesome is that. I know she's mentally tough enough for Ironman. I am so glad we are traveling towards IM Wisconsin together.

In regards to my bunny duties, I probably should have given her a little more encouragement out there and I probably could have pulled her a little quicker through the middle of the race and the last half mile, but that will wait till next time, say in October. Oh and a big "Hooray" to Sara's Mom for a PR!!!

For the rest of my run, I don't believe Microsoft Streets & Trips, but it said I did a total of 15.5 miles today. Hunh? I was only shooting for 12. I was supposed to do some fartleks at 10k pace earlier this week. I have done a grand total of two 10k races in my life. The last one was hmm, 1992. Although I am getting much better at pacing, the sprinter inside usually tells me to go as fast as you can for as long as you can. So "10k pace" is like Greek to me - I kind of know the alphabet, but can't make out the words. Unfortunately the portion of the bike and hike trail that I used has a number of stop lights that makes longer pushes a bit trickier. I decided to do four 1/2 mile pushes. The splits: 3:15/3:02/3:08/3:05. Hunh? Where are these coming from? Don't my legs know they've already run 10 miles? Honestly I don't trust those splits, but dang am I really able to go under 6:30 mile pace? Right now? Wasn't I just happy to get under 7:00 a few weeks ago? Why do I doubt? Well, I'll get back to you on that one, because right now the taxman cometh.

But before I head off, I strolled around the internet block and stumbled across this: http://asteroid.divnull.com/?p=70. Never thought I could use my dremel for food prep.

Have a Happy Bunny Day!!!

7 comments:

Papa Louie said...

Nice job pacing TriSarTops! If you want to do any long runs together on a Saturday morning let me know. Have a happy Easter.

Trisaratops said...

You are one speedy bunny!!! :) Thanks again for running with me--man, those are some BLAZIN' splits! I swear you didn't even break a sweat during the race...ha ha Have a great week and I'll talk to ya when we get back.

Cliff said...

Is there such thing as pace monkey..b/c monkey is my zodiac sign :)

No beer and sub...should have done it next time :).

Chris said...

Will you please make sure to save me some pizza at the end of IMWI this year? :)

You're a speedy, speedy man.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Wow... judging by the comments here, you are truly a speedy gonzales. ;) And yes, those are pretty scary splits. Good running!

Janet Edwards said...

Speedy, sounds like a fantastic training day you had.

Way to be such a supportive friend to my girl, TriSaraTops! You both will rock come IM Wisconsin!

E-Speed said...

I am a great 8:30 pace bunny :) But any other pace not so much!

Glad your speed is returning!