Thursday, June 08, 2006

2 in 2 days

Lots of thoughts, little time. Excuse me if I write in sentence fragments. It's 3 am, I must be lonely, er, no I'm just waiting for my socks to dry. Need to sleep soon though because I have a long drive ahead of me with my parents and three little nieces.

Okay, so I was born on the 31st anniversary of the D-Day invasion. Thanks for your thoughts. And yes I tend to downplay my birthday. So did I live it up yesterday? Not really. Actually my shorts are in a bunch from one event yesterday.

As Papa Louie mentioned, things are flying in air. My eyes are itchy, I have extra snot, and worst of all, my airways tend to constrict. I have the high powered drugs and hope they keep me going.

Yesterday dropped my car off at the auto shop at the early hour of 8 am (early for me). Shop is only 3 miles away, but I did 6 mile repeats on my way home. Felt pretty darn good. And the splits showed it.

Chilled till 13:00 when I hopped on my bike to pick up my car. I hate Lowes. A new store is being constructed right outside my apartment complex, 100 meters away from a Wal-mart and 200 meters away from a Home Depot. Getting in and out of my apartment complex is a pain, the road is ripped up, and they tend to kill the electricity and water every now and then. Forgot my regular wheels in my car so had to use my race wheels. A mile away from my apartment and two minutes past the construction zone, front wheel goes flat. Ughh, they're tubulars, so you either patch them up (which I deem impossible) or get a whole new tire. $100 down the drain.

My fun and excitement for my birthday was heading down to Jacob's Field for a ball game. My classmate went to high school with one of the ballplayers. He was pretty preoccupied since his family came up to watch him play, no dugout passes, but fun nonetheless.

Today was hectic trying to get everything done including a trip to the bike shop to get a replacement tire. Got in a pretty good ride today. Went about 24 mph for a ten mile TT followed by about 20 mph for an 8 mile TT with a 3 mile climb. Coming back down the hill, I hit a pot hole and blew out another tire. Well at least this one was a clincher and tubes are cheap.

So 2 day, 2 wheels, 2 flats....

Not sure if I will report while I am in Wisconsin, so have a great week everyone.

9 comments:

Janet Edwards said...

Dang, 3 AM is so late...no wonder why 8AM is early for you!

Funny, I wish all the time to get a Lowe's or a Home Depot somewhere close (as the nearest one is 30 minutes) as we have done a ton of house remodeling and I end up doing circles to these stores!

Wow, that is some bum luck with the tires.

Have a blast in Wisconsin!

Papa Louie said...

I don't know how you kids can stay up so late. Have a great time in Wisconsin.

Cliff said...

blowing the tubes on a training is better than on race day...

i am skeptical. I haven't blown a tube yet. I think it is waiting for me on race day.

E-Speed said...

Like Cliff I have not had a flat yet somehow. I am sure it is going to happen to me in the middle of the projects one day on the way home from work when I decide to take a detour and get lost :)

Trifrog said...

If you thought your day was bad, imagine how bad it must have been for those soldiers on the beaches of Normandy

What did we do before Wal-Mart, Home Depot, and Lowes? Everytime I'm in one of those places it just makes me feel inadequate about all the home projects I'm not doing or haven't even thought to do yet or the stuff I don't have that I didn't know I didn't have or want. I'll take Shaker or Van Aken Hardware over those places any day.

Hope the trip to Dairyland is productive and instructive.

BuckeyeRunner said...

Have fun in Wisconsin! Can't wait to hear the report upon your return.

Rachel said...

Ack! I HATE flats. Have fun in WI. I envy you. I LOVE WI.

Neese said...

happy belated birthday! jacobs field is a great place, i hope to catch a game there this summer! sorry about the wheels that's weird! hope the wheels on your luggage hold up on your trip!!

:)

Kewl Nitrox said...

You took your racing wheels out on unpaved roads?!?! What were you thinking?!?! ;P

Didn't know people still used tubulars nowadays. You are pretty hard core. :D

Nice pics, BTW. You are quite a hunk. (No, I ain't gay.)