Thursday, June 22, 2006

Fool in the Rain

I bowed to Mother Nature and all the other forces around me today. I was supposed to get in a five hour ride today and really wanted to squeeze it into everything else.

World Cup match? Okay I can squeeze that in and ride in the afternoon.
Two papers due tomorrow? One paper I can finish during futbol and the other is very straight forward. Well all was going according to plan including the not so surprising US loss. So grab a quick snack, check the weather forecast and ohhhh that rain is going to hit me in a few hours. Better move.

So I'm clicking along with my dead legs at a decent clip and get out about 25 miles or so then a drizzle. All right this isn't bad. Toss in a few angry motorists, no sweat I've dealt with this before. At 30 miles I'm getting slapshed by the all the cars as the rain gets heavier. No problem, I can deal with this. Boom!!! Crack!!! Time for some thunder and lightening. So what are the chances of getting struck by lightening? To heck with that. At 35 miles, well now I literally can't see a darned thing its raining so hard. This will pass right? Besides I'm almost at my preplanned stop at my apartment. I'll reload my food and fluids and head back out when it gets a little better. POP!!! Damnit!!! Have I ever mentioned how I hate the developer who decided to stick a Lowe's in front of my apartment complex!!!! So I walk back half a mile to my apartment getting splashed by the traffic getting dumped on by mother nature. And still I was planning on heading back out after I change that Fin flat.

Well I climb two flights of stairs, cold and wet, unlock the door and then like the Sirens' my familiar abode was calling to me. "Stay here and it will all be better." The temptation was great as I changed my tire, but no, Iron must be earned. After topping off the fluids I rolled back out the door. Twenty seconds later I am back indoors. I succumbed to the pressure. I couldn't ride through this monsoon and I think most sensible humans would have done the same. But still trying to reach for Iron, I set the trainer up and got in another ninety minutes or so for a total of about three and half hours of saddle time. So as I type this now, Mother Nature's fury has passed and I'm sure there's a rainbow somewhere out there. Sigh...well it is what it is.




And yes there is photographic evidence of a trainer ride in June. By the way, I couldn't find any code for Fool in the Rain, so you get to listen to Over the Hills and Far Away instead.


"I'm hungry; let's get a taco."

Good luck to all the racers out there especially Su and Rob and others at Ironman this weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

8 comments:

Rachel said...

Sounds like God was sending you a sign. Not going to happen. I hate those days. You're all ready to go and Sh*t happens.

A Lowe's in front of your place? Yeah that sucks. I HATE flats!

Cliff said...

Riding in the rain si a mix. I am still not confident to go for long hours in the heavy rain. But so far, my long ride never had to change b/c of rain.

Given heavy rain, i will go home and ride my trainer as well.

Trifrog said...

I succumbed, too. Wanted to do 2 hour ride home from work and even left early to do it. Got a little over an hour in before rain started. Good thing I left early.

Thought I saw clearer skies and headed that direction when the thunder and lightning started. I'm a more conservative about such things in my old age, so I parked it, waited for it to die down and rode home in the light drizzle behind the front.

Neese said...

you're no fool.... like you said it is what it is and good for you to do the additional 90 minutes of training!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Some days everything is against us... but you did good. I would have saved changing the flat for another day and bagged the ride. That you even WENT back out (even though you came back in) is awesome.

Mike said...

Heavy rain and flats...what a crappy combo!! Definitely a sign for you to wrap it up for the day. I can totally relate to the wet-weather riding though...it sure makes you appreciate the nice days!

Chris said...

I can't tell you how many planned bricks that those Sirens ruined for me. I hit the comfort of my AC coming back from a ride and all of the sudden, I'm in the shower instead of out on the road running like I should be!

BuckeyeRunner said...

"Iron must be earned." I love it. That is like my new favorite quote.