Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Stage 1: WIBA



I am back from WIBA. MOOO - YAH!!!


Our hostess, Iron Wil, definitely knows how to throw a shindig. I didn't get to meet everyone, or chat with old friends as much as I had hoped to, but it was Fun with a capital F.

Well I'm not really going to to a play-by-play of the whole weekend for you because every other blogger who was there will be writing about WIBA. I spent a good chunk of time with Steve-I'm-wearing-nothing-at-all. So go there for some hilarity.

I'll give you a few snipets from my brain:

  • Okay maybe Bubba and I were separated at birth. We were being mistaken for each other all weekend. I had several people remark about my leg so my calling card is on the right.
  • History repeats itself. Driving to Madison, Ferrah played in the rain again. Not unlike the last time I was in Madison. Once on the course, for whatever reason, my brake pads were rubbing against the rim. Not unlike the last time I rode the course.
  • People can be really cool.
  • I was at the back of the pack and was fortunate enough to get motorcycle support, by another rider's husband. How cool was that.
  • I went dashing off to catch Wil who missed a turn. Two drivers heard me screaming, pulled up next to Wil at the bottom of the hill and got her attention.
  • I was glad to finally meet Triteacher and Serra. All the best to you two and I'll hope to see you the next time I am in Dairyland.
  • Okay C-Town peeps, Bolder does exist. But for whatever reason, he is good at eluding the camera lens.
  • Thanks to the locals who made a lot of this happen. Stu, RobbyB, Thomps, and Heather Haviland for stopping by and riding with us.
  • And everyone else at WIBA: Pharmie, The brothers Andy and Chris, Snickers girl Tricia, John, Erin, Gavin, Leslie, Jaret, Sherry, Howard, Marty, Coach Mike, Jennifer, I know there's more.., but best of luck at IM WI and beyond.
  • All right this isn't an awards ceremony, so no thank you mom, dad, the Good Lord Above...
So let's put out some numbers from my first week of marathon training.

Monday: This was my recovery day coming off a long ride on Sunday.
Tuesday: Missed workout. Athena once again demanded attention so I had a 12 hour work day, which had nothing to do with the fact that I wanted to leave things in order before a six and a half day hiatus from work.
Wednesday: Mini tri. I went for an easy open water swim of maybe 1100 meters. That was the longest swim of the year for me at that time. Following a really long T1, I went for a 12 mile bike at Zone 2 cruise tempo. I came back in for a quick T2 followed by an high zone 3 up tempo 6 mile run. The day ended with a 15 minute cool down run.
Thursday: 2.6 miles of a zone 2 run.
Friday: Swim stroke analysis. I was in the pool for an hour. Total distance was probably about 1000 meters. I hit Lake Monona a few hours later for a quick 30 minute swim. That distance was probably 1200 meters. Next up was a 30 minute run. I threw in a 5 minute push. I covered about 1500 meters during that push. I will estimate my run total distance as four miles.
Saturday: 10 minute open water swim. 72 plus miles on the bike.
Sunday: 13 mile run. My legs did not quite have it, but I went out with the lead dogs. We checked out some of the old IM WI run course. I really don't know my total distance as I ran extra because of the historical detour, but I stayed in the shade of the bike path on my way back from Inspiration Point, ran through State Street and then around the Capital and then down to the Terrace. Gosh those sights are something else as I reminisced about last September.

Totals for week 1:

  • Swim: 3300 meters
  • Bike: 85 miles
  • Run: 27 miles.


Preview of Stage 2: I've got some 800 repeats on Tuesday, a mid distance tempo run on Thursday, and a long run of 15 miles, probably on Saturday. I'll try to throw in a swim and a few bikes rides.

Whew, I'm pooped. So who's in for WIBA '08?!!

10 comments:

E-Speed said...

glad you had a good time at WIBA! I keep meaning to try and get down to Columbus to workout with you and visit some other friends down there. I'll let you know when I can swing it!

Tracy said...

You know I'm there! I had a blast, it was awesome riding with you! Thanks for coming to get me on that downhill too, and more for riding back up it with me :)


You're a good man, Al!

Rachel said...

That sounds so awesome. I wish I'd been there!

RunBubbaRun said...

Maybe next year, I'll get some guns on my legs so I can more look like ya..I might have to dye out my grey hair as well.

Good seeing you out there from time to time. Sorry I missed out on the rest of the festivties and the sing along on the bike ride.

Mike said...

Dude- you have some awesome legs- of course I mean that in a hetero way although I'm questioning those quads....are they implants? ;-)

Very cool blogger meet-up there!

Steve Stenzel said...

WIBA 2008! WOOH!

Thanks for the link!!

Triteacher said...

YES, WIBA 08!! Serra and I enjoyed finally meeting my IronBro. And yes, look us up the next time you're in Dairyland.

Pharmie said...

It was great seeing you out there again, and we'll totally be there for WIBA 08!

Fe-lady said...

I didn't know you were going!!! I guess I had better catch up with your blog....damn! Nice legs BTW! :-)

Kewl Nitrox said...

I AM GREEN WITH ENVY.