Monday, March 20, 2006

Roller coaster

Today was quite an up and down day. Got up early (for me) and was at the hospital for a school project by 07:30. Worked straight through till 14:30 when I finally left for lunch. Didn't mind the rumble in the tummy because I was able to finish everything I needed to do without having to come back some other day. I also found two pennies, heads up, on the floor. My lucky day, huh?

So went home to relax before heading to the gym. Got to the gym and forgot my swim trunks. Doh!!! Went back home...went back to the gym. Pissed that the weights will get cut out of the workout today, but excited that the pool was finally in its 50 meter configuration. Got a new swim workout to try too. 50, 100, 200, decrease the rest intervals, lather, rinse, repeat 3 more times then do that block again. Well, my coach gave me the intervals based on 25 yard pool. (I told him I would make the adjustments based on my perceived exertion.) Well, if you have ever done any swimming in a long course pool, you know there is a difference. Here are a few things I learned about my pool today:

- when you think you're close to the wall, you're probably still 25 meters away.
- you're not going to be able to follow the black line on the bottom of the pool, especially if the line is dashed and 16 feet below the surface of the water.
- unless they have a huge clock on the wall (which they did not) or have super human eyesight, you're not going to be able to see the clock at the other end of the pool.
- you have plenty of time to calculate in your head your next send off.
- keep reminding yourself that your times are slow because meters are longer than yards.
- I'm still not at the wall...how long is this thing?

I still haven't found the proper conversion for times between a 25 yard pool and a 50 meter pool, but my best guess is to add about 6 or 7 seconds per 50.

I should have cut some of my warm up and drills down because I ended up getting in only 3/4 of the main set done before they kicked me out. But heck I did 3200 meters and that's 2 miles and it felt pretty darn good.

Got home and now I'm back down after reading this about the LA marathon.

Oh well, I guess today wasn't my lucky day, especially since I don't believe in luck. Maybe Cliff has some extra beer and ice cream....

4 comments:

BuckeyeRunner said...

You must be swimming at Case - I love that pool. Used to swim over there all the time when I lived in Cleveland Heights. I wish my pool now converted to long course. Nice job!!

Trisaratops said...

Sooo jealous!! I feel like a hamster stuck in a wheel in my 20 yard pool. Maybe when school's out this summer I can venture out that way. Great job on the workouts in your last post, too!!!

E-Speed said...

Oooh I am definitely coming to swim with you now I want to check out this long course!

We'll wait till Steelhead training has me doing a few more yards!

Cliff said...

Sorry dude,

I don't keep ice cream and beer in my house. It is far too dangerous and tempting..(actually i ate it all already).

Maybe next time u should bring a pair of binoculars to look at the time :D.