Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Training Tools Tuesday, #1

Sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow. Today I am a follower. I have noticed a little trend going around in the blogland that I often visit. Some bloggers are having a regular weekly column. Tri Eric has done a fine job with Two for Tuesday, What's Cookin Wednesday, and Family & Friends Friday. So today I unveil Tuesday's Training Tool. Yeah sorry to step on his Tuesday toes, but I just did not like the sound of Thursday Training Tools. I guess if there was enough commotion from you the readers I could pit my post against Survivor.

So what will TTT entail? Every week I will try to highlight something that I use during my training. It could be watches to wheels, gels to glasses, bikes to beer...Well you get the point. I got the inspiration over the weekend during my run and you will see why in a minute. So what is the first item we shall see?

My waterproof shell.

It's the Superlite Waterproof Jacket from Endura, shown here in blue.

Late last fall when I went to my favorite store for gear, I knew I wanted something highly versatile. I didn't see anything I liked immediately, so I talked with my buddy at the store and asked him what else he could get for me. He got on the phone with the Endura rep.

Buddy: "So how about a light weight waterproof jacket."
Me: "Hmmm, aren't these mostly cycling jackets?"
Buddy: "Yeah but I have run in one before." He exchanges a few more words with the rep.
Buddy to me: "The rep says since this is a new jacket, you would be the first in North America to have one."
Me: "Okay you know your stuff. Do they have one in blue."
Buddy asks the rep and then says to me: "Yup, you can pick it up in tomorrow."
Sweeet.

I have done a few rides and a few runs wearing this jacket in a variety of conditions. I did notice I got a bit hot on some of my runs, but it did the job. Well then on Sunday my opinion went from "its okay" to "love this jacket."
Why? Well my run was done in about 55 degrees F and a steady rain. And you know, what I stayed dry and surprisingly did not overheat as I thought I might. Awesome. I think it looks pretty nice too. Functional and fashionable. So thumbs up to my new favorite jacket.

4 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Niiiiiice jacket!!! I need to get me one of those!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Nice! Except we don't need those in tropical Singapore - if it rains, yo ujust get cool and wet. ;)

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hey, just found out it was you who ran the 10K with cliff. GOOD JOB! :)

Papa Louie said...

If the jacket held up in the rain and kept you dry then it gets a thumbs up from me. How much? Can we put in a request for a tool review?