Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Training Tools Tuesday, #2

For this week's TTT, I am going to highlight something that many of us in the snowy parts of the world have. I sometimes think just a little differently from the norm, so I have actually grown accustomed to and enjoy using this week's training tool. It happens to be my bike trainer.


What I have is the CycleOps Fluid2 flywheel. I purchased my trainer two winters ago. Back then it was a magnetic, but somehow the resistance unit got messed up and started destroying my tires. You can see the damage on the flywheel which was shredding the crap out of my tires. Don't ask me how the flywheel got like that. I don't have a clue.



So I needed just a new resistance unit and I was able to get just the fluid unit. Since then I have ridden a ton on the trainer with little problems. I suppose I could have gotten any other trainer with similar qualities, and still tell you all why I like it. This just happens to be the one I have.

Call me crazy, but I intend to keep working out on my trainer for a few more weeks. Why? Here are a few reasons:

- more flexibility with time
- comforts of my own home
- easier to complete workouts
- safety

Regarding the time flexibility, I can come home anytime and still jump on my bike. 8am or 9pm I can still spin indoors. I can't do that when I am riding outside because there is/was no sunlight. I would have to pack my bike and gear, sometimes drive somewhere before beginning my workout. That takes up extra time which can make all the difference some days. Trainer 1/Outside 0

Comforts of home include having all the food and water I need without having to throw it into the back of my jersey. I have running water, towels, and a toilet. One negative of the indoors, is that I can't just spit on the ground, but I got around that by having a plastic cup nearby. Trainer 2/Outside 0

The workouts I have are geared towards indoor winter riding anyways. Things like isolated leg drills and high cadence work can not really be done outside. Can you imagine spinning away at 130 rpms and then having to stop suddenly at a red light? Trainer 3/Outside 0

Which leads to safety. I don't have to worry about cars running into me. No railroad crossing. Very little chance to get a flat tire. No debris or stray deer running across your path. Trainer 4/Outside 0

Despite the lopsided score, don't think that I prefer indoor riding over the outdoors. When I moved back to riding indoors last fall there was a mental transition that had to occur. I had to come up with the positives and remember exactly why I was doing this - IM Wisconsin. Once your mind is on board, the body follows. I have been riding indoors for several months and have gotten into a good groove with it. And when you have a good thing, why rush to change it? Especially since there's still some snowflakes in the weather forecast.

I thought about also discussing my logic for not watching TV or movies while I spin. I tried that with my tri club's forum and I think the general opinion was that I was a little off my rocker. If anyone wants me to discuss it further, drop me an email and I'll send you my thoughts.

3 comments:

Cliff said...

That's nuts dude. I will never ride without some eye candy (movies).

Those one leg drills helped a lot. This is the first time I do them. I can't believe how strong I am riding. I can't wait until i get out once it is warm to see the improvement.

E-Speed said...

lol Cliff is right I am afraid. No movie or music or something in the background?

man you are focused!

Papa Louie said...

I also have gotten into a grove riding on my trainer but I look forward to getting out with the bike to help improve my riding skills.