Friday, May 12, 2006

Closing Time

Tonight was the end of a chapter in my IM WI book. I was fortunate to be able to swim in a sweet, wide open, and fast 50 meter pool for several months in the fall and spring. (It was in the 25 yd configuration during the winter.) But some bright university official decided to close the pool for the second straight summer. Last year was some repair work to the pool area and to make some connections to a brand spanking new addition. This summer the pool is closed to paint the ceiling. They certainly couldn't have taken care of that last year.

Anyways my swim workouts were mostly in the evening when very few people were around. But those who showed up usually swam orders of magnitude faster than me, the human anchor. I have made some pretty big gains with my swimming not only because I have put in the time, but because I have learned many tips from these sharks.

One of these sharks, Dale, has helped me out quite a bit. He won a local 1 mile open water swim meet last summer and is preparing for the master's world championship meet in August. His specialty is actually the breaststroke, like myself. For my main set tonight I was scheduled to do 28 x 100 with the sendoffs decreasing by 5 seconds after 10, 8, 6, and 4 of the 100s. Dale looked at my workout and challenged me by recommending I do 8, 8, 8, and 8 while holding each one at right about the same pace. So what the heck. Well you know what, I got through 28 of them and then my pace just slipped. Those last four hurt and my times crept up about 7 seconds. But I got through them without having to bump up my sendoff times. I'll take the 4 2:02s to go along with the 28 1:55s, because I know how just a little extra push goes a long way.

Tonights damage, 1200 warmup, 32 x 100, 4 x 200 kick, 500 pull, 300 cool down. 6000 meters total. I met TriEric, several years ago at some coached swim sessions. We weren't the fastest ones there. Heck I was usually in the lane of shame. But now we can say that long swim workouts are no longer daunting.

So now I am considering finding a new pool for the summer even though the cesspool, err side pool will still be open. But as I move forward I am sneaking a peek back. I gratefully remember those who have helped me with my swim upstream these last few months. As if I were receiving a grammy or something, I will limit my thanks. Dale who I already mentioned. Henry who has given me plenty of pointers. And Deanna for guarding over me and always sticking around those extra few minutes for me to squeeze in a few more laps.

I'm going to miss my pool, but it's time to turn the page and write another chapter. How warm is the Lake?

10 comments:

BuckeyeRunner said...

Wow, that is some great swimming! It has been quite a while since I busted out some yardage like that! Seems like 4k is the most I can do without someone else there to workout with! When you find out where you are gonna swim, let me know, it'd be fun to join you!

Janet Edwards said...

Oh I hope I can look back on my swimming someday with a similiar reflection...putting in the time, but still such a swim newbie!

Wow, 6000 meters! maybe someday...

Trisaratops said...

WOW--that is some SERIOUS yardage!!! Nice job! I haven't passed 3600 yet---you's makin' me feel like a slacker! :) ha ha

Papa Louie said...

Great workouts! I won't tell you all I do is 800 to 1700 swims. Anyway during the summer lunchtime I swim at Edgewater State park beach.

Cliff said...

Looking at the yardish you dish out everytime u swim, i never expect u to be a not so good swimmer :D.

It is nice to have sharks in your pool to swim with. For some reason, I have become one of the faster ppl in my pool. Not so good. Perhaps soon I will be ready to join the masters.

As for the lane of shame. When I took a TI lesson with my coach, i was in a class of 5. i was the youngest guy there (all the other ppl were 40 + with kids). I was also the only one need to wear a flippers and the slowest guy b/c I can't kick.

Eric said...

Your yardage has been monster the past few months. I'm anxious about getting into the lake myself. Can't get warm enough soon enough.

Anonymous said...

Why does it take 3 months to paint a ceiling? I think that's rubbish.

I feel your pain though, I love swimming. I used to have access to a private pool that didn't use chlorine (heaven). As a result, when I do swim in chlorinated pools my eyes become so irritated I cant spend much time swimming.

I hope you find a pool for the summer!

Chris said...

So... what makes the other pool a 'cesspool'? :)

Rachel said...

thanks for the comment on my blog! i noticed you're in the science field too. pretty cool. seems like they're lots of triathletes in science.

I hate being dependent on the pool. They're hours, repairs, crowds. I can't wait to be rich enough to have my own pool someday. Personally, open water is my favorite place to swim.

Kewl Nitrox said...

I swim in my apartment's 25m pool, because I am too lazy to go to the nearest 50m pool when I wanna swim. :( Hope you find a good pool soon. With the distances you are swimming, you will get dizzy in a 25m pool. :D