Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Vent

Okay, I'll keep this short. A rider had a nasty spill tonight at our bike workout; she's a tough veteran roadie, so she should be fine. Our group usually splits off and the roadies ride in a group and the tri folks ride separately. I got really frustrated with my fellow triathletes tonight. If I yell "on the left" it doesn't mean move to your left into me. If I yell "on the right" at you, you're probably too far into the road. When I yell "car back", it doesn't mean you should stay in the middle of the road. If I yell "car up" it doesn't mean continue blindly through the intersection. After trying to pass a pack of triathletes three, sometimes four across, most in aerobars, I said to hell with this. Do none of you have any common sense? Did anyone not remember what just happened five minutes ago? And so for the rest of the intervals, I let them get about 30 seconds ahead of me and went at my own pace. I'm probably preaching to the choir, but damn it I hate it when people lose their common sense. Grrr.... And you wonder why people in cars get upset at cyclists. Use your head people. I need a beer and maybe some ice cream.

11 comments:

Eric said...

Sometimes people need a good reminder kick in the ass.

Most tri people aren't used to riding in packs so etiquette sometimes isn't followed.

Papa Louie said...

If I ever do anything stupid like what you mentioned please let me know. I don't want to be labeled as a mindless triathlete.

Pixie said...

That is why I just ride with one other girl right now, I think I would be putting other people (and myself) in danger if I rode in a pack. You are right, people need to use their common sense and be aware of their surroundings. Have some ice cream for me. :)

Janet Edwards said...

I echo Lou's sentiments. Let me know!

I have oserved some of these same things and I always wonder if people did not hear car back or just don't care...bugs me too!

E-Speed said...

beer and ice cream, my solution to all vents!

Totally feel you!

Now imagine you are riding with someone who has been doing this for almost as many years as you have been alive and they don't get out of the way when you yell car back.

It is definitely enough to make a girl ride solo!

Cliff said...

Beer n ice cream. Sounds great...just that with race coming up in 4 weeks...i am going ot put a hold on that :)..

It is quite frustrating to see riders like that. Worst, for new riders not knowing what's right or wrong, they will just follow them.

Habeela said...

Oh, this is the story of my life! Only multiply your triathlete group by about 3 times and now you know what I'm biking with in the park! I think every biker needs to be required to take etiquette lessons!

Chris said...

There are a few of us triathletes that give us a bad name. No wonder roadies never like us.

Hope your ice cream was good! :)

Rachel said...

I totally know what you mean. Especially when you say "on your left" and they don't let you pass and give you a dirty look. Hey, it's nothing personal, buddy. I'm going faster and I will pass you, one way or another. So we can do it the easy way, or the hard way. You pick. And the people who swerve into you? I think they just check their brains when they get on the bike.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Yes... As much as I hate it, I so understand why the roadies give me a dirty look when they see my aero bars.

We should make road racing a mandatory pre-requisite for all triathletes. :)

Jodi said...

I feel your pain. I hate riding with road hogs. The last thing cyclists need is to piss people off who are driving vehicles. Road rage is bad enough between cars...

It was nice meeting you yesterday in Mentor. I hope that your ride went better out there!