Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend Recap

Saturday morning was a training ride on the Greater Cleveland Triathlon half Ironman course. I met Jodi, another NEO tri blogger. She was riding the sprint course because she had a long ride on Sunday. I must say that I am fortunate to have such an awesome triclub with so many wonderful people. I started my ride with TriSaraTops and a few other friends and met a few new ones on the way. One of my IM WI sisters started the ride with us, but unfortunately mangled her rear derailleur on the first major climb. Luckily we were able to call for someone to pick her up. I think I will start carrying a chain tool now, so if that ever happened to me, I could pop off a few links and turn my bike into a fixed gear so I could make it home.

For a post training day pic, stop over to TriSaraTops and give her some good vibes. Good thing you can't see my sunburnt shoulders in that picture.

Below on the left is the profile of the GCT course broken up into four sections. On the right is the IM WI profile. Is the IM WI course hilly? Sure but nothing I will not have seen beforehand. If I keep hitting the hills, me and my 12-23 cassette will be fine with the climbing. Just need to work on the bike handling a bit more.


















Saturday night I saw United 93. In my opinion it was well done. No political slant, no cheesey lines, no emphasis on big Hollywood special effects, and from what I read, very well researched. Take some dramamine if you get motion sickness though.

Sunday was a long run with TriEric. I was able to convince him to run a little bit later than most normal people run. We started around 10:30; time to feel the heat. We labored through 16 miles together and I tacked on another 2 on my own. Clock time was around 2:40 with two water breaks in there. We were looking to average sub 8:00/mile, but we checked ourselves and kept our heart rates in control. So we averaged around 8:30/mile. I'm pretty sure the profile below is not the exact the route we ran, but it is pretty close.


I moved my rest day this week from Friday to Monday so I could spend a little time at my parents. For the rest of my weekend, a couple of picnics where I could play with fire, catching up with friends, a few beers, and that made for a pretty good weekend.

Against my wishes, my coach has ordered a recovery week for me. So I guess I'll take it easy this week.

Have a great week and happy training everyone!!!

4 comments:

Jodi said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend of workouts! Good luck with your recovery week. I feel like tri training is like a drug. The more you do, the more you have to do! It has gotten to where I feel like a slug if I do less than 2 hours per day. It's a sickness, I tell you.

As for the library amnesty... Unfortunately it wasn't extended to the Health Sciences library, where I now owe $90 for a Dermatology book that I have sitting at my desk.

Wear your sunscreen!

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds like a busy weekend!!

Great training days and way to be such a supportive training partner to TriSaraTops!!!

Rachel said...

Working out with others is great b/c it motivates you to do the training without feeling like it's a chore, and you get to socialize. It's great to have a local tri club. What a great resource. The tri club here in San Diego is also phenomenal.

Papa Louie said...

Training more on that kind of bike route should make you ready for Wisconsin.