Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Funk

Today's music selection:

So I've been in da funk ever since my half IM about a month ago. Things didn't go the way I expected. I can't go so far as to call it a failure, but the outcome of that race was tough to swallow. I did not expect to be stumbling across the finish line like this.




Anyways the last few weeks have been consumed with completing school so the training has suffered, not to mention my lack of proper sleep and nutrition. I can't say I remember the last time I slept more than six hours straight except last night. The muscles, in reality, are fine since they have not been over worked, but the brain is screaming no mas. Thankfully it will all be over by week's end.

But I can't shake this funk. I bonked and to remedy this I need to work on my race day nutrition. Well that only comes with trial and error and frankly I do not have a large enough sample size to know what works and what doesn't. Sure I have been out on the bike for many hours the last few weeks, but a 9 hour and roughly 108 mile ride isn't quite the same as 112 miles at 6 hours.

When I signed up for Ironman last September I did not fear the 140.6 miles nor did I fear the possibility of 90 degree heat nor the hills. The one thing that I feared was that my nutrition would fail me and I would have an absolutely terrible day. Well, my fear was realized during my dress rehearsal. So yes that fear is real, and I really don't know if I have solved my problems yet.

Well today I did 1:45 minute run back at some on my old high school cross country trails. I could not resist running by Kendall Lake, Octagon, the Ledges, Ice Box Cave, and nipple hill. And after my run I was greeted with a call from a good friend of mine/former college running buddy. Since she was on an 80 mile commute back home (I don't know how those Cali folks do that) we had some time to talk and it ceratinly picked me up. As we were talking about nutrition during race day we came to this conclusion: when it comes to race day anything, and I mean anything can happen. It's really all a crapshoot so do what you can and don't stress over it.

So here's the plan. Give that nutrition thing another test this Sunday at another half IM. And I think my plan my actually include a ham sandwich. The one goal for this half will be to finish feeling pretty good. Sounds simple right? But I'm sure it's easier said than done. Stress out? Well that's something I know I can control and right now, I'm not squeezing as hard as I was before. As Wil said: Trust yourself...Just let go.

16 comments:

Papa Louie said...

There you go, "a ham sandwich". Now that sounds like no worries. Eat and enjoy the race. See you there this weekend.

Jodi said...

Ham sandwich actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Nice and salty to help replenish electrolytes and some carbs to re-energize. Let me know how that goes! I think I might try PB&J one of these times.

Trisaratops said...

Better not tell Tryathlete about that ham sandwich....ha ha ha :)

I know you were disappointed with your HIM. You're doing the right thing by testing things out. Just remember you've put in so much at this point and how hard you've worked to get here. I think we're all (or maybe just me!) getting a little apprehensive and doubting things at this point, since it's so close. We need to remember all we've done to get here, ya know?

You're going to do GREAT at the GCT and I'm sure it's just what you need to get your mojo back. (Even though I think you kick ass any day of the week!)

And holy muscles in your picture! I'd better not piss you off---you could WHOOP me into a pulp with one leg.

E-Speed said...

I'm sure you'll do great this weekend!!! Just have fun and stay aerobic that really worked wonders for me. My biggest problem was sort of feeling like I might vomit on the run but it never got very bad.

Cliff said...

Al,

Better find out in the race rehersal than the actual IM.

This is my biggest fear as well. Stomach bail out on IM and it will be a long long day.

From what i learnt from my own nutrition. Keep HR low so stomach can digest the food/gel...drink water to keep the content in the stomach diluted. And if stomach start to burp up stuff, slow down and drink water.

I ain't dialed in yet...but will soon for next year.

Anonymous said...

Hey Al,

I hear ya on the nutrition thing, as in my experience its been an experiment of one. Ultrarunning is no IM, but for nutririon in my long-distance runs I've been able to put a number on it. For me, its 250 calories per hour and xx number of sodium tabs per hour.

FWIW, I always carry a couple tums, just in case. :)

Wishing you the best this weekend. No not racing, but hope to volunteer out there...somewhere.

Remember the "A" goals.

Lloyd

Lloyd said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chris said...

Sorry to hear about your funk. Have you tried out CarboPro for fuel? I've used it for the past two years with success. I haven't heard anyone yet who has had a bad experience with it? Just a thought...

Trifrog said...

Your 'mistakes' will make you better. At least you have the opportunity to try again and experiment further.

Eric said...

Even the best laid plans go awry...you see what I mean in my race report....and yes it will be complete before IM MOO.

You must focus young padi-wan. Feel the force guide you through your nutrition. Use the GCT as your bike nutrution training ground. Don't worry about the swim. I'll see you on the bike.

RunBubbaRun said...

Nutrition is all about trial and error. I have half empty cans of all kinds of stuff trying to figure it out. You will get it, Carbo-pro and Cliff bloks are pretty good. The standard Peanut butter sandwich on the bike usually works for me. Just keep it SIMPLE.

Rachel said...

It's hard but you have to shake it off. You're obviously in incredible shape. Nutrition was probably the key thing that went wrong, which is the easiest to fix. Or could it have been not enough rest? That's also easy to remedy. By the way, the first thing I noticed was your quads in that pic (then the drool). Nice! Way to push through despite such a hard race. Focus on the positives. You'll do fine for the big day coming up.

Pharmie said...

Hope the half went well. I second the Carbo Pro. I can mix it up super concentrated. I make a goal about how much of it I have to drink per hour on the bike, and I supplement with Gatorade, Fig Newtons, and Enduralytes. Everyone has to find their own formula, though. Good luck finding yours. By the way, that is one IMPRESSIVE quad.

Lloyd said...

Well?? How'd it go? I some the fueling worked.

Nice to see you out there, even if it was short!

I posted a better Hinckley elevation chart on today's entry. Thanks for pointing that out.

I haven't seen the results yet, but I hope you get to evaluate yourself on more than just finish time.

xt4 said...

Dude, I totally understand about bonking the dress rehearsal - I had two pretty tough HIM's this summer when I'd hoped at least one would give me a glimmer of IM potential. But I learned a lot from them, as I'm sure you did, and was able to really dial in with that information in the following weeks. I'm feeling good now - and for me it's all about heart rate, heart rate, heart rate. Stay the course and you'll find your way, no doubt about it.

Hang in there - we're getting close!

BuckeyeRunner said...

Hope it went well! I am sure you did great. That picture of you is awesome! Talk about IRON!!