Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Statement of Intentions



11:43.

That is my goal time for IM WI.

I know, I know. Don't set a time goal, especially on your first IM. Blah, blah, blah. There's a lot of good backstory to how this number came about, but let's just say it involved an intrepid past president of our tri club and my foot in my mouth. Believe it or not that was the mark I put in my brain two years ago and I'm sticking to it.

To break this down a little more,

Swim: 1:20
Bike: 6:00
Run: 4:00
Transitions: 0:20.

Yes those are razor thin margins, but that's how I need to break it down if I am going to hit my mark. And to be honest with you and myself each one of those are absolutely within reach.

If your going to set a goal, set it high. Don't make it impossible, but just past the edge of your comfort zone. This world would be so much different if all we ever did was try to meet the minimum standards. I don't think Chris Columbus ever said: "Oh, let's sail for a few days and see how far we get."

You will never know how far you can go if you never take that next step.

7 comments:

Spandex King said...

Wow!!! Good Luck!!!! See ya there!!

RunBubbaRun said...

Dang dude, way to lay it on the line. No guts no glory, just save some beers for the rest of us at the finish line.

Triteacher said...

You're an interesting case... didn't wanna taper, now you want to set a goal time. You got something about bucking the system, dude? -- Good luck with it. I myself will be sticking to the "tortoise" strategy that day.

Eric said...

I had a goal time also but never published it. I also didn't let it dictate the race. Do your thing and you will not only acheive but crush that time.

Don't sacrifice the gift. Show us what you've got.

Mike said...

Awesome- I like your attitude!!
Here's to kicking ass on your goal time!

Chad said...

Where are the other 3 minutes going to go - slapping high 5s at the finish?

Lloyd said...

Where would we be without goals? Go fer it!

But don't forget to leave some time for ham sandwiches...