Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Sacrfice



A few weeks ago, Papa Louie posted a few demotivators here. For the most part I find them funny, yet realize there are some truths behind them. I checked out a few others and this one hit home.



For the most part, I had filed my heart problems into the subbasement of my brain. I was put through a battery of tests and passed all of them. I have had no symptoms the last few months. And of course I have been swimming, biking, and running... a lot. My family physician is okay with my participation in Ironman, but my cardiologist has never given the green light for me to race; I've been training and racing under yellow all year.

So when this story about the baseball player David Ortiz came out, some doubts resurfaced in me. Here is a baseball player who swings a bat 4 or 5 times a night; he is sitting in a hospital room tonight as a precaution. I, on the other hand, will be swimming, biking, and running all day.

No one really believes that I have Brugada Syndrome. My dad thinks I'm fine, I think I'm fine, and my cardiologist probably doesn't want to tell me that he doesn't think I have it. But until I am tested, there will be a small degree of uncertainty.

I've prepared myself the best I can within certain parameters. If there are family and friends out there who are still concerned, please don't be. Just give me some positive thoughts and prayers next Sunday. The hearts of Ironmen and Ironwomen are strong physically and figuratively and I intend to hear the words: "You are an Ironman."

4 comments:

Chris said...

You've got plenty of thoughts and prayers coming from this end next Sunday. I'll be thinking of all us tri-bloggers when the cannon goes off.

Try not to let it stress you out too much. You can really only handle one major obsticle at a time...

Eric said...

Oh you WILL hear those words when you cross that finish line.

Trisaratops said...

You are strong, and you are ready, and you have a whole team of people rooting and praying for you...including me!

Papa Louie said...

I also will be thinking and praying for you next weekend.