Sunday, February 12, 2006

Gold Nuggets

Looking over some of my posts, I am pretty light on my training details. So here are my workouts from this weekend.

Saturday:

Indoor bike (who needs Spinervals!!!)
  • warmup, about 15 minutes
  • Spin ups
    • 120-135-120 rpms with a 5 rpm increase every minute
    • 120-145 rpms with a 5 rpm increase every minute
  • Isolated leg drills
    • 2x2 minutes each leg
  • Overgear
    • 16 minutes with six accelerations between 60 and 110 seconds
  • Lactate ladder
    • 55 seconds @ 100rpms and acceleration of 5 seconds to 120 rpms
    • increase the accerlerations 5 seconds every minute until 10 secs@100 rpms - 50 secs@120 rpms
  • Climb
    • 24 minute total climb
    • 14 minute climb with 90 second accelerations every 2 minutes
    • then a 4 minute acceleration
    • then 6 minutes out of the saddle with accelerations
  • Sprints
    • 2 sets of 5x10 seconds all out with 1 minute recovery
  • Cool down
Weights
  • Squats, dead lifts, lunges, calf raises, hanging leg lifts, back extensions, situps

Sunday

Run (So what if it's freezing outside, it still beats the treadmill)
  • 65 minutes outside with a 12 minute climb/up tempo push.
    • Includes a short run up and down a "helix" to prepare for IM Wisconsin.
Swim (workout cut short due to other commitments)
  • 300 WU
  • 400 pull
  • 300 kick
  • 5X100
  • 300 CD

So my body is handling the workouts right now. No aches and pains, no really sore muscles; feels okay so far (except for those annoying times when my heart skips a beat). But my mind needs to recharge. I keep looking ahead and feel a sense of impending doom. Those really long workouts that I will need to do in a few months loom. I hope I can stay focused.

Finally, I want to thank my friend from way back who called me up out of the blue today. She happened to be in town and tracked me down. We met for lunch and good conversation. Things like that are like finding gold nuggets, little pieces of treasure that lift your spirits.

4 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Sounds like you had a pretty good training week. Even though I ain't a ironman, I think I know that "impending doom" feeling. :) It is called self-doubt and sometimes it is good if it pushes us to train harder, but at the end of the day, we have to remember what Isaiah said "...In quietness and confidence is your strength..." Isaiah 30:15

PRAISE GOD!

Cliff said...

Those climbs sound brutal.

Eric said...

Good weekend to workout. Weather didn't keep me inside either.

Keep the spirits up. There are plenty of others in the Cleveland area to help with those looming workouts. I'm looking forward to being able to ride outside for hours on end.

Trisaratops said...

What is this helix thing everyone keeps talking about? Hmmmm...I'm such an IM Wisconsin newbie....it sounds like it is NOT good though....