Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Karaoke night at the pool

I returned to the pool tonight for the first time in over two weeks. I am fortunate enough to be able to swim in a really nice 50m pool, but in the wintertime, it turns into a 25yd pool overrun by kids from several high schools. I still got my own lane, but I am next to a few girls who, everytime they stop at the wall, decide to sing to along with the tunes pumping out of their boombox. So I warmup a little....."Because of you, I never stray too far from the sidewalk...." start into some of my drills ...."I've found a reason for me to change who I used to be a reason to start over new...." slip on my zoomers ...."My hump, my hump, my hump, my lovely little lumps. Check it out." So not only do they sing like dying chickens, they can swim faster than I can! These 15 year old girls are motoring along with their kickboards creating huge splashes and here I am puttering along with flippers with a ripple behind me. Ugh.

But hey think positive right?
I am in the pool again. Yeah!
I think I was actually rotating from the hips a little. Yeah!
My last 100 of my 8x100 was a controlled 1:25. I could barely do 1:50 two years ago. Yeah!
My heart is beating normally. Yeah!

As for that last yeah, I am sooo anxious to get back to my doc to get my test results. I know something is slightly off, but will I be able to get through and Ironman safely? Friday can't come soon enough.

3 comments:

Kewl Nitrox said...

Sigh... Did I tell you I was so slow in the swim that my kids asked me "Papa, why are you so slow when you swim? The other people are so fast but you are so slow...".

Keep at it, we'll get FAST yet. :)

:) said...

Good luck at the doctor!

Cliff said...

Hey...are those girls going ot bike and run after their swim? No. So dont' worry about speed. :)