Monday, February 13, 2006

The truth is out there


I need to get to the bottom of this irregular ticker business. Being a skeptic, I was not satisfied with the results and explanations I got from my regular family doctor. We had figured out what was going on and we had a treatment plan. But what was the cause of my irregular heart beats and why do I still have them? So I squeezed in an appointment with a cardiologist today and an EKG was taken. He looked at it, asked me a few questions and said: "You have a right bundle branch block." Any time you hear "block" in the same context as heart that can't be good. It definitely sounds worse than PVC. He assured me that RBBB is mostly benign, but it could also be a sign of some serious problems. So back to the lab. CT scan, stress test, an in depth EKG, and more. And yes it was recommended I start the beta blockers. Luckily I am in a recovery week for my training, but this mental stress can't be any good for my heart. Let's hope for some good news on the heart this week. At least the legs are still holding up.

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Hey--hope all is OK...I had to do the whole stress test/EKG thingy, too. Hopefully they will tell you what they told me--it's so benign it's not even worth mentioning. My doctor basically said I'm "just weird." I knew that anyways. :)

Anonymous said...

sorry you have to deal with that...hope everything is okay.

Eric said...

Keep us updated and let us know if you need anything. I agree with Sara. things will be fine.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Hey, 2 years before, I did a full treadmill test and the docs said nothing was wrong with me. The treadmill was for insurance coverage and I figured if the insurance company doctors did not find any reason to load my payments or limit my coverage, I must be in okay shape.

Then, one year later, I go for my annual Army phsical check and the army doc said I have a "a right bundle branch block". He also said "it is nothing to worry about" and passed me for the annual physical fitness test. So if I am fit for the Army with the "block", you shld be alrite! :)

When in doubt, don't worry or get stressed out - PRAY. ;)

E-Speed said...

I hope you figure out what is wrong.

This weekend was my first time playing Chez Geek. I was the big loser, but I had all the booze in my room!