Thursday, February 16, 2006

Triathlon versus the Career

Some people don't believe me when I say I will be retiring from racing soon. I will present some evidence to support my case. Right now my watch says 04:05. I spent the last twelve hours doing a ton of work. I will be heading out the door at 08:30 to log in maybe another seven hours or so. Skewed working hours and long days do not leave much room for good training days. I already know that I will have to be creative with my schedule during my peak months of IM training this summer.

I have spent the last several years in pursuit of some really big race goals. Sadly I may not reach them all and I am okay with that. Maybe I am developing a social conscience, but there's some serious satisfaction when you know somehow you are helping someone else reach their goals. That's the kind of race I want to try to run.

One last note, Friday will be another big day for me. I get to spend probably a good five hours getting my heart tested and evaluated. I will have my fingers, toes, and everything else crossed. Hopefully the Almighty upstairs will give me some good news.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Unfortunately you have to sometimes fall back and re-evaluate things. You're young and have time to do many races in the future. I didn't start racing (MTB, Road, Du, then tri) until I was 30.

Good luck on Friday.