Thursday, February 23, 2006

Boomerang

I have been pretty beat up physically and mentally over the last few weeks. While at the weight room this evening I tried focusing on my legs and core. What a terrible session. I am surprised I lasted over an hour. Energy level was low, form was terrible, ankle was bothering me a little. Just all around lethargy. Heck check out my workout schedule for the week and you can see some serious negativity there.

I got back home and somehow I got on my bike and started spinning. No DVD, no music, no magazines, just me and my thoughts. I really wasn't sure what to expect since I was already on the bike earlier in the day and my legs were beat up from lifting. I got going for a few minutes, finally strapped my feet into my shoes, and just pedalled. 90 rpms ... 95 ... 100 ... 105 ... 110 rpms. I started to cruise. Not really sure how long I went, but maybe 35-40 minutes at 100-110 rpms. I was in a zone. I finally slowed up because I realized I needed to make something for dinner and it was already after 21:00.

As I got off the bike I realized, damn, it's coming back to me. The desire and the passion. The fear of failure. The hunger for success. They were still in me, I just hid them under a wicker basket.

I have a shelf with some mementos from some of my trips. I have a boomerang that sits prominently among the other items. I saw it tonight and it struck me. We all train and race for various reasons. But whatever those reasons may be they still push us to keep spinning even when we are tired. Sometimes those things that drive us appear to be moving away from us. We may even lose sight of them. But if we do things right, our focus will turn around and come back to us - just like a boomerang.

5 comments:

Trisaratops said...

Great post!!!! So true. Hang in there. We all get in funks sometimes. It's tri that keeps us sane (or at least that's true for me). See ya tonight at the meeting?

Cliff said...

110 RPMS..that's pretty fast. :)

I never bike with my thoughts...i must have ADD or something.cause i always need something to pay attention to..(TV)

E-Speed said...

great post! Good job on the spin! i don't think I could get on the trainer without some form of external entertainment.

Papa Louie said...

Great workout! Maybe you need to enjoy some rest days.

Violet said...

You know...I think Himself and I own that EXACT Boomerang...strange. It sits on a shelf with a fertility God statue My partner's mother gave him...go figure.